Monday, May 17, 2010

"We're having a baby!"

These are the words Jake blurted out at dinner just hours after I had taken a positive pregnancy test back on April 15th.  He was asleep when I had taken the test and we had actually decided to wait several months before we even discussed it around him.  Since waiting until the end of December to meet this new little person feels like forever to me, I can't imagine how long nine months will feel to someone barely two.  But there was no keeping secrets from this boy, especially when he really knew long before I did.  Since sometime around his second birthday at the end of March, Jake has been fascinated with the idea of being a big brother.  He has always loved babies, but his focus narrowed on "us" having a baby.  He was constantly bringing me every hand-me-down book we have aquired on big brothers and is always interested in a conversation on babies living in tummies.
Over the last month our excitement over this new addition has only grown.  Jake loves to announce our news to just about anyone.  And while I may not have been completely ready to share the news with everyone that Jake wanted to include, I would much rather have him excited than indifferent or upset.  Jake even came with us to our first ultra sound today, and it was so beautiful to have the whole family there to witness this new little miracle.  The ultra sound tech couldn't believe how well behaved and interested he was.  All I could say was, "He really gets it."  And he does.  I know that he and this new little spirit already have a special connection that began long ago.  Arthur and I cannot believe how blessed we are.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait to find out if I'm psychic and you're having a girl! I also wish I had done my OB/GYN rotation already so that I could figure out what the heck is on that ultrasound! 9 months is a long time to have to wait, but I guess we did it for Jake and he was well worth it! AAAHHH I'm just so excited for you!

MariePhotographie said...

I am so happy and excited for you guys!!

Jessa said...

I am just so excited for you guys - I know that Jake will be the cutest big brother!