Friday, October 1, 2010

A Day in the City with Grandpa Dave

With almost everyone in work or school during this week, days were drastically slower than the previous weekend and to slow us down even further was Jake's first fever in over a year.  I'm sure a 5 hour plane ride combined with four continuous days of fun and little sleep created the perfect storm for some little virus to overtake a normally stellar immune system.  Since he wasn't particularly uncomfortable, I restrained from giving him anything so that the fever could do its job.  Jake was a trooper about it and I actually enjoyed getting to cuddle the day away as he napped and I monitored his little body temperature.  The cutest part of the day was when we woke up from a nap as his fever spiked to groggily announce, "I have a fever again."  Within 36 hours Jake was up and running again, and we were ready for another long weekend of crazy busy fun. 

Friday morning Grandpa Dave, Aunt Robyn, Jake and I got going bright and early (okay not too early) to head into San Fransisco for a visit to the California Academy of Science.  Some of my favorite childhood memories are trips to museums with my dad and since I believe one of the best parts about being a parent is getting to share the things you loved with your children, I was very excited to take Jake and experience his reaction to such a fun place.  Jake could pretty much give tours at our aviation museum here on post and I already mentioned his love for zoos, but I knew a place like this would be taking thing to a whole new level of awe for my inquisitive two year old.

The museum did not disappoint...any of us.  It has been completely renovated since the last time we made a visit as a family.  If it hadn't been for the albino alligator tank, I don't think I could have made any connections from the museum of today with the museum in my memories. When you walk through the entrance there is a huge replica of a T-rex skeleton. Dinosaurs have been on Jake list of favorite things list for a few months now, but reading about them in books and playing with plastic action figures cannot translate the size of them the way standing right next a life size skeleton can. Seeing the look of wonder on Jake's face as he gazed up at this great creature, I knew we were in for a great day. 

We spent most of the morning in this large sphere that houses the "Rainforest."  Jake was all into it as we walked through all the levels of this ecosystem.  We analyzed all the exotic animals, incects, and spiders (luckily all in tanks).  A frog even took interest in Jake as we passed by.  Yep, you read right, the frog liked Jake.  He couldn't take his eyes off him.  He would move around the tank to ensure a clear view as Jake changed location, and at one point the frog even jumped up to be at eye level with him.  Jake was so startled that he jumped almost as high as the frog.

Things started to fall apart at we made it to the top of the rainsforest.  You see, Jake has inherited this really sweet trait in which as his blood sugar drops so does his mood.  Since my dad is one of the "carriers" of this darling feature, he had complete patience and even sympathy as my sweet little boy quickly deteriorated into a near tantrum screaming, "I'm hungry!"  At this point I realized that no rainforest bird or butterfly was going to distract him a minute longer.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and since Mommy left the bag with snacks in the car, this meant buying a 7 dollar organic hot dog. Within minutes of getting food into him, Jake's transformation came full circle as he turned back into a fun cute boy.  The hot dog gave us several more good hours.  We spent most of that time in the large aquarium that takes up nearly all of the bottom level of the museum.


Jake couldn't stop giggling as he watched this silly looking fish




It is amazing all the interesting and unique creatures that grace the waters of this beautiful planet so the three of us took turns trailing Jake around as he ran from exhibit to exhibit taking it all in.  It was such a fun morning!
Jake was worn out.  I imagine it takes a great deal of energy to process so much new information all in one morning.  As I carried him out of the museum and we started our trek back to the car, I felt his little body go limp in my arms.  He was out...true to form Jake gave 100%.

Unfortunetly, this left me carrying three people to the car...I guess it is good news that James (Baby Orr #2) barely weighed a pound and still doesn't require arms to be carried. :-)

Of course our day in the city was not over.  An overpriced hot dog was not going to cut it for my dad, so he spoiled us girls with a trip to the Cliff House, an amazing restaurant that over looks the beautiful California coast (that I have missed so much now that we live in the South).  The food was incredible and if your have never eaten a crab melt, I recommend it.  The clam chowder was delicious too.  Jake missed most of lunch to the land of dreams, but it is a nice to have meal out every once in a while that doesn't involve crayons.


After living through my first summer in the South, I was not anxious to leave the cool breezy weather of The City.  Jake, now awake from his nap, was also ready for a new adventure so the three of us headed down to the beach.  We ended up near some caves, and I was surprised when Jake wanted to venture in them.  It only took one near death experience as I tried to hold Jake, balance my pregnant body, and traverse the slippery rocks in flip flops in order to get to the cave entrance.  Luckily Aunt Robyn came to our rescue, and we made it without any cuts, bruises, or a sprained ankle.  Actually, I think I impressed my dad a little with how agile (if you will) I still was 5 months pregnant.



The caves were worth the effort.  Hearing the waves crash onto the cliff as you stand inside it is awesome.  There was even a little break in the rock where you watch the swells.  Jake was enthralled by the entire experience.  He still talks about the caves as he acts out the waves crashing into the rocks with his arms.  


It was such a fun way to end our afternoon.  Thank you again Dad (Grandpa Dave) for such a special day!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That museum sounds amazing! What a great adventure!