Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Hosting Thanksging for the First Time
Before anyone is too impressed, let me set the record straight. Thanksgiving was at our house, but I did not make the entire meal. Truth be told, I didn't even make the turkey...or the ham. I left that up to the Kimber's. And let me just mention that their deep fried flavor injected turkey did not disappoint. What I really wanted was an excuse to decorate, an opportunity to set our table with the beautiful china and silver Arthur's grandmother handed down to us. My mother called it "the perfect nesting activity." And considering what occurred just a few days later, maybe it was a little too perfect. I guess we should have known something was up when I started tracing leave on the kids table...
Jake and I spent the day before cleaning and cooking. My dad, being the Martha Stewart that he is, started the tradition of finding incredible recipes from Better Homes and Gardens and that is a yummy tradition I was not willing to leave in California. Jake and I added pumpkin cornbread, green beans with caramelized onions and goat cheese, and whipped sweet potatoes with real maple syrup and marshmallows to the other delicious food that everyone else was bringing. Oh, and I can't forget! We also made the cranberry cake that a family friend was sweet enough to resend to me.
As I mentioned on previous blogs Jake is quite the little helper so he was 100% into operation "Thanksgiving Prep." However, he his only two and a half so he can get a little over zealous about things. For example, spraying cleaner. It is one of his favorite "jobs" but I do have to watch it or I end up with puddles of Clorox Green Works on every surface of the family room...but I do love that he loves to help. And lets just say that when our guest arrived the following day, our house smelled very clean.
Jake can also get a little crazy with his mixing. He claims he is "making sandcastles" but all I see is flour and sugar spilling from mixing bowls and onto the counter. Unfortunately, the day before Thanksgiving, with so many things on my to do list, there were a few moments when Jake's excitement exceeded my patience threshold. As I listened to myself sternly ask him to stop doing something or another for the countless time, I found myself hoping that being scolded would not be the thing Jake remembered about this day. So I did my best to relax and just be thankful for the little blessing crouched shirtless on the counter as he insisted on doing nearly everything by himself.
Yep, everything took quite a bit longer and was much messier than if I had done it alone, but where would the fun or the learning be in that. Holidays are about time with family, and on this Thanksgiving, our last one before Baby James, I am grateful for the special one on one time I had with Jake.
As I reflect on all the other things I am thankful for this year, it is impossible not to acknowledge how far we have come as a family since last year and how blessed we have been by Arthur joining the army. Last Thanksgiving Arthur was in his second month of basic training and Jake and I were at home missing him like crazy and counting down the days till he'd be home for Christmas exodus. So the blessing of being together in our beautiful home was already wonderful and then getting to share the day with the amazing friends that we have met made the day even better.
While we miss our family and friends back in California terribly, I am grateful for this time in Alabama and for all the people and experiences we would never have had without it. It was a beautiful day filled with amazing friends, incredible food, and lots of good laughs.
When I look back on this day I want to remember Jake happily eating at the kids table with his best buddies the Haymore boys,
the Kimber's skyping, April's oyster stuffing, and Baby James busy in my tummy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay, so glad the blog is back! And I love it when you post videos of Jake! Looking forward to the posts to come . . .
Post a Comment