My decorating took me a little while longer. Decorating a new space takes a some trial and area. But as I was finishing up, Arthur made some comment about how Baby James could come now because the house was ready for Christmas. Maybe I should have waited a few more weeks.
I had big plans for the rest of the month. Lots of baking, Christmas themed crafts, trips to the library to load up on sweet holiday bedtime stories, and decorating our first Christmas tree. All of this, of course, to be complemented with my favorite Christmas music as the sound track for the month. With James' early arrival and his two and a half week stay in a NICU nearly two hours from our house, I thought all of that would have to wait till next year. Luckily, Arthur and his dad kept Christmas going at our house for Jake, while I was with James. It warmed my heart, as I sat by James bed, when Arthur sent me this picture.
While, I was a little sad (okay so I cried) that I was missing this Christmas tradition, I was so happy Jake wasn't. They even kept Jake busy with his Christmas coloring books and hot coco (not to mention all the time, attention, and toys his Apa and Daddy showered him with).
While, the magic of the season was still going on at home, I was missing it. Not even a picture with Santa can make a NICU feel merry. So between trips to the hospital, I stocked up at Joanne's and Michael's so we could hit the holiday ground running when I got back.
Our first project was painting. Since James wasn't home yet, I had a hard time getting into it, but Jake did a great job!
By our next attempt, James was home, and Jake and I made ginger bread cookies. It was just like I had imagine it would be. Arthur was snuggling with our new little one on the couch while Jake and I measured, poured, and mixed. Thanks to Pandora online, we even had beautiful Christmas music filling our home. Nothing is more prefect than listening to Jake giggle through Christmas Don't be Late by Alvin and the Chipmunks and then having it followed by Josh Groban singing Oh Holy Night. A little something for everyone.
It was close to a perfect night...what I hadn't counted on was three "perfect" nights of ginger bread cookies. After two nights of mixing, cookie cutting, backing, and decorating, I was loosing my love for this little activity. So it was lucky that the missionaries showed up on the third night and wanted to join us. We had a great time. Although, we did have to watch Jake pretty close with the sprinkles...he can get a little crazy with those. Apparently, Jake doesn't consider his cookies complete unless there is a small mountain of red or green granulated sugar on top of each one.
My favorite craft of the season was our stockings. I not only saved money by not ordering some from Pottery Barn, but I also felt pretty creative for coming up with the idea. It was a pretty simple activity, but we all had fun..all except for James, who was not very into having his feet covered in craft glue...but how else was I suppose to make the glitter stick?
I love them because they are the perfect representation of our little family at Christmas of 2010...and because the have lots of glitter. Maybe that is where Jake gets it from? ;-)








6 comments:
super cute crafts :) you guys are an adorable family!
ps, i put up my christmas stuff on Nov. 15th. yikes! and they're still up! haha!
Your house was decorated beautifully. I was just thinking how wonderful your house feels. It's so calm, peaceful, and sweet. A perfect home! BTW-I know I say this a lot, but really Jillian could you have just a little of a belly left in your picture. It would make me feel better. ;)
So fun! I love all the pictures, and what a great mom you are. I love all the details because it makes it feel like your not quite so far away... sigh.
Marie- Hopefully we will end up in Washington and with in a year or two we will be doing Christmas together again. :-)
Lauren-I love that about you! Christmas decorations make a home feel so warm and festive. And with is being your baby boy's first Christmas you should make it last as long as possible.
Stephanie- Thank you! And you too look amazing, so shhhhhhhh!
Merry Christmas!
I love how crafty you are! And such a great idea for the stockings! I am so glad that everything is going well for all of you and that you are all healthy. We would love to see you all if and when you make it back for a visit! You should definitely check out the new Barlow family blog: www.bunchofbarlows.blogspot.com
Love to you all!
Post a Comment