Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Adventures in Home School

Have you ever sat down to write a blog post and after 15 minutes of writing you think, "This isn't what I was going for..."  Well, that is how this one is going for me.  So I think I will forget it and let the pictures do the talking on this one.  Hope you enjoy the first addition of "Our Adventures in Home School"
Every day looks different here...we kind of just let the day unfold.  I love how many natural learning opportunities come up when I back off (I'm learning) and let them happen.
Baking has been one of Jake and my favorite activities for a long time...chocolate chip cookies is like its own subject at our house.  He can do so many of the jobs by himself now...I think he cracks an egg better than I do.

I love how many things can be taught in the kitchen, but my favorite part is watching his confidence grow as he masters something new (added bonus: his hands are busy)

Jake loves bugs!  And he is one awesome bug catcher!  He loves to put them in his bug box and can observe them for hours.  We enjoy researching them together so we can learn all about their diet and life cycle.

Can you believe I caught this venomous hobo spider!?  Yep,  the boys are the the only ones learning...Mommy is learning lots too!  I am doing my best to be more patient and creative while being less type A (I certainly don't want to be the teacher that makes them hate learning).



Music is must!  We've been listening to classical music lately and we talk a lot about the composers who wrote the "beautiful pieces" as well as the musicians who play their music today.  
We love arts and crafts!

 James first art project!

Totally worth it, but can you see why my children are never in clothes? 
So much fun...but SOOOO messy!  
He had such a great time painting that I made him edible finger paints to play with (and eat) while I fixed dinner.

Jake created, wrote, and solved the last problem all by himself!

So here it is...our version of home school.  To the untrained eye, it may look like a lot of playing and moving from one mess to another.  But I know that we are learning...about life, ourselves, and each other.  And I love that we are doing to together.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like lots of fun. Have you seen the home-school link off of "The Pioneer Woman"'s website. They seem to have great resources and good ideas.

Lisa Allred said...

Lucky boys!

Mary L. said...

For music you MUST get this:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=949

Bernstein Favorites - Children's Classics. His Peter and the Wolf is the best!! I love his introduction to the orchestra, too. It's all good!!

For early English go to Susan Wise Bauer - First Language Lessons

For History - Beautiful Feet Books

Older History (or now, Jake is so advanced ) - Story of the World, Susan Wise Bauer.

English for older grades - Rod and Staff

Book for you - The Well Trained Mind, Susan Wise Bauer. Read this no matter what else you do.

Jake probably doesn't need all the extras in this reading curriculum, but Sing, Spell, Read, and Write is the most amazing reading curriculum I've ever seen. It's pricey, and Jake probably doesn't need all the cool bells and whistles that it provides.

Science - Play with everything!!!!!!!

Math -- Play with numbers!!!!

MariePhotographie said...

Looks like you guys are all having a blast! Such cute pictures. :)

Ash & Paul said...

you are amazing! I wish I was a fun mom like you! :)

Stephanie said...

Looks fabulous! You are always an inspiring mom.