This year has been a incredible homeschool journey for our family! I can't believe how much we have learned and grown...me, probably, more than anyone else! So before 2013 comes to a close, I want to share some of the milestones, discoveries, and lessons we have experienced this year.
1) One of our biggest accomplishments was our study of the Old Testament. We started out using the LDS Old Testament reader and Discover the Scriptures curriculum. But within several months, I realized that we all wanted a little more. So after a visit to California, Grandpa Dave sent us home with his childhood Bible stories, and an illustrated children's Bible what includes lot of fun historical facts and picture of artifacts. Throughout the year Jake has memorized nearly 20 scriptures (James became familiar with quite a few too), became better acquainted with prophets of old, and learned how these ancient stories can directly help us in our lives today.
2) Jacob completed Saxon's Kindergarten and First Grade math curriculum, and is nearly half way through the Second Grade program. It is amazing how much he has learned this year! He is counting money (pennies, dimes, and nickels), learning to tell time, measuring, adding, and subtracting.
3) James started his math this year too. We did most of the things that I did with Jake several years ago. It is something of a Montessori hands on approach to begin identifying numbers and to understand the quantity they represent. James caught on quickly and enjoyed playing with the rocks and counting bears, but then about four months ago, he decided he was ready for something more like his brother was doing. So now he is learning to write the numbers 1-10, he can count till 20 (although it sometimes gets a little muddled around "firteen"), he can complete AB patterns, and he is a pro with shapes and sizes.
And over the last few months we have brought in weekly spelling words so that he can get some of those pesky "sight" words under his belt. We are about half way through the 2nd grade program, and I am sad that it is the last one in the set.
5) Guess who decided he needed his own Hooked on Phonics? You guessed it! James, who had already been working on identifying and writing his letters this year, started the preschool Hooked on Phonics a few months ago. We are moving slowly through the program because I really want to make sure that he connecting each letter with its sound. But I don't think it will take too long because this boy really wants to learn to read! He actually started crying at church a few weeks ago because he was frustrated that he couldn't read the hymn.
While I think it is wonderful that he is so eager to learn, I am not too eager for him to stop using words like "caterpittle" and "popporn"or telling me how "busy" he is after he spins in circles. So don't judge me when I help him learn what each letter says, but I don't correct him when he tells me that he saved my hair tie from "going down the dream" or when he asks "where the water castle (aka fountain) is." And the other day, I just smiled when he proudly announced, "I know where the alligator is!" as he lead the way to elevator. I am a huge faun of learning, but I am also just as passionate about letting them stay little.
If I have learned one thing this year, it is how much I need to learn! Homeschooling has not only helped me get to know my boys' strength and weaknesses, but it has really highlighted my own. Talk about humbling! For example, I am not as patient as I use to considered myself to be. After teaching swimming for over a decade, I once might have listed patience as one of my strengths...and then I had my own children. It is funny how the people you love like no one else, are also the ones who can push your buttons like no one else. I realized that for my sake and for the happiness of my family, I needed to follow the council found in the Book of Ether: And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27) So, through lots of prayer, scripture study, and some amazing conference talks...I am making progress. I have learned that patience really is the foundation for a Christ like life, but the trick is, acquiring patience takes patience...I am sure it will be something I will strive and work for each day.
It is difficult to say who is benefiting the most from homeschool, but it is my humble prayer that we are all growing together as a family. And that as we learn, each day, we are not only acquiring knowledge but wisdom through the Lord.
2) Jacob completed Saxon's Kindergarten and First Grade math curriculum, and is nearly half way through the Second Grade program. It is amazing how much he has learned this year! He is counting money (pennies, dimes, and nickels), learning to tell time, measuring, adding, and subtracting.
3) James started his math this year too. We did most of the things that I did with Jake several years ago. It is something of a Montessori hands on approach to begin identifying numbers and to understand the quantity they represent. James caught on quickly and enjoyed playing with the rocks and counting bears, but then about four months ago, he decided he was ready for something more like his brother was doing. So now he is learning to write the numbers 1-10, he can count till 20 (although it sometimes gets a little muddled around "firteen"), he can complete AB patterns, and he is a pro with shapes and sizes.
4) Jacob has learned to READ! I tried several methods, and most of them left us both feeling frustrated and unmotivated. I started to think that maybe he just wasn't ready and that I was pushing to hard, but after some research (and a lot of prayer), I decided to give Hooked on Phonics a try. We started with the Kindergarten program, and immediately I could see it working. We supplement by using the Explode the Code workbooks which him a chance to put the rules he was learning into action.
And over the last few months we have brought in weekly spelling words so that he can get some of those pesky "sight" words under his belt. We are about half way through the 2nd grade program, and I am sad that it is the last one in the set.
5) Guess who decided he needed his own Hooked on Phonics? You guessed it! James, who had already been working on identifying and writing his letters this year, started the preschool Hooked on Phonics a few months ago. We are moving slowly through the program because I really want to make sure that he connecting each letter with its sound. But I don't think it will take too long because this boy really wants to learn to read! He actually started crying at church a few weeks ago because he was frustrated that he couldn't read the hymn.
While I think it is wonderful that he is so eager to learn, I am not too eager for him to stop using words like "caterpittle" and "popporn"or telling me how "busy" he is after he spins in circles. So don't judge me when I help him learn what each letter says, but I don't correct him when he tells me that he saved my hair tie from "going down the dream" or when he asks "where the water castle (aka fountain) is." And the other day, I just smiled when he proudly announced, "I know where the alligator is!" as he lead the way to elevator. I am a huge faun of learning, but I am also just as passionate about letting them stay little.
If I have learned one thing this year, it is how much I need to learn! Homeschooling has not only helped me get to know my boys' strength and weaknesses, but it has really highlighted my own. Talk about humbling! For example, I am not as patient as I use to considered myself to be. After teaching swimming for over a decade, I once might have listed patience as one of my strengths...and then I had my own children. It is funny how the people you love like no one else, are also the ones who can push your buttons like no one else. I realized that for my sake and for the happiness of my family, I needed to follow the council found in the Book of Ether: And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27) So, through lots of prayer, scripture study, and some amazing conference talks...I am making progress. I have learned that patience really is the foundation for a Christ like life, but the trick is, acquiring patience takes patience...I am sure it will be something I will strive and work for each day.
It is difficult to say who is benefiting the most from homeschool, but it is my humble prayer that we are all growing together as a family. And that as we learn, each day, we are not only acquiring knowledge but wisdom through the Lord.





No comments:
Post a Comment