This year, despite Jacob's 7th birthday falling 4 days after we moved, Arthur insisted that Jake needed a real party. Arthur was right. For the last 3 years something has come up, pushing "a friend" birthday party to the next year and then the next, so we really did need to make it happen.
I had no idea how we were going to pull it off, but somehow with lots of help from Ama (I'm pretty sure I would still be sitting in my house surrounded by boxes, likely crying, if it hadn't been for all her help) we made it happen and we hosted Jake's 7th birthday in our new house.
Jake has gotten very into Star Wars this year, and decided on a Star Wars theme party. But the only thing that really translated this was the incredible Star Wars cake Arthur ordered. It hurt my heart a little bit not to have decorations hung or some themed craft or activity planned. But this year, a clean unpacked house was decoration enough and with 10 acres to explore the kids probably would have been annoyed if we had tried to slow them down with a craft. Maybe next year we can really play up the Star Wars theme because I think the love of the "the force" is here to stay.
Surrounded by many favorite people on the planet, Jake pretended (because Mommy forgot candles) to blow out the candles on his birthday cake and welcomed in another year.
I don't know what Jake wished for (very likely a new Star Wars lego set), but this is what I wish, or should I say pray, for him this year: Jake, I pray that your curiosity and love for exploring and learning will continue to grow. I hope that you spend countless days outside: hunting for bugs, fishing with your dad, riding your bike, getting dirty... basically, I hope that your childhood is filled to the brim with childhood. I hope that music continues to be a big focus for you and our family, and that you will increase your skills as a violinist and you will continue to excel as a performer (it comes so naturally to you). I pray that you will gain an appreciation for beauty because it is all around us. There is beauty in the world, beauty in music, and beauty in good books. Remember 'if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, [Jake,] seek after these things."
As this is the year leading up to your baptism, I also pray that this will be a year where you strive to understand agency and to use your will to choose the right. Be aware of how you feel when you are obedient, to you parents but more importantly to your Father in Heaven. Good choices will bring you happiness and peace. I pray that you will be blessed with spiritual experiences, experiences that allow you to feel and recognize the Holy Ghost and how he communicates with you so you will be ready to have him as a constant companion in you life. Finally, I pray that through the Lord, I can be the mother you need. I pray that I will be guided to know when to step in and when to step back. I pray that I will receive inspiration on your behalf so that I can help you grow into the man you were sent to become. But please remember, that I am still learning too. I have I have never had a seven year old before and I am bound to get things wrong sometimes. However, I can promise you that I am doing my best because I love you more than you will ever know and I am so grateful that I get to be your Mom. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
(This is what is looks like when a seven year old finds out he is going to a Charlie Daniels' show)















No comments:
Post a Comment