I am continually amazed as I watch my other children as they eagerly love and serve their new little brother. Jake has become my extra set of hands throughout the day. I can always count on him to take Jonah for me and he looks like such a little man when he paces and bounces our fussy boy. James is just as thoughtful and selfless as ever. He is constantly trying to find ways to make my days easier. He adores his baby brother, and he thinks it is pretty great that Jonah looks so much like he did as a baby. Jake and Jamie have this big brother thing down, and I am unbelievably grateful for both of them!
But it is the growth and changes in my Scarlett that have been the most surprising. From the second that she met Jonah, she has never once been jealous of him. That isn't to say that she doesn't ever act out or struggle as she adjusts to all of the changes in her life and her place in our family. But when it comes to Jonah she has nothing but kisses, soothing words and a frequent requests to hold him. Not once has she ever directed any of her frustration toward "her baby." Instead she has become a little momma with him, and being Jonah's big sister is bringing out the best in her. In the past several weeks, I have seen such a change in her. The whining has started to fade away, the tantrums are far less frequent, and I can tell that the way she sees herself is also changing. Becoming a big sister is helping our baby girl begin to outgrow the natural selfishness of childhood. In little ways she is starting to put the needs of others in front of her own, especially Jonah's. As I see her confidence in her new role build, her excitement to help increase, and her desire to show love and kindness grow, I am reminded, once again, of the infinite wisdom of our Heavenly Father to organize his children into families. Families allow us to learn, grow, and love in a way that nothing else could. And I am eternally grateful for mine!




No comments:
Post a Comment