Somehow another calendar year is almost complete! Jake is rolling along in his firth grade year, Jamie is now a second grader, Scarlett is in her first year official year with Classical Conversations, and Jonah is right in the middle of it all! Here is a look back at our first day of class (in our once a week co-op) back at the beginning of September.
When people learn we homeschool, I get a whole spectrum of responses. Of course there is the standard, "Good for you!" Usually, though, they haven't taken a breath before that is followed by, "But I could NEVER do it!" There is also the question that is so common I feel like it is more of a cliche:"What about socialization?!?" This is accompanied with a look of concern, and sometimes horror, for the children I obviously do not let out the attic (if we had one).
But lately, I am hearing more and more parents (moms especially) who generally want to know more. I hear the hesitation in their voices as they ask, "How do you do it?" but I recognize that their real question is one they are asking themselves. "Could I do it?" is what they really want to know. I see the fear and doubt in their eyes, as I try to explain what homeschool looks like for us.
So here is what I want all of you, who are asking yourselves "Could I do it?" to know. Yes, 100 percent yes! This is what I have learned. Homeschool moms don't have magical powers. Patience increases as it is tested. There is no such thing as balance. Take it one day at a time! Forget "school" and focus on education and a love of learning. You don't stop being the best teacher for your child just because they turn 3...or 5...or even 10. And you will never regret being a part of more of child's childhood. Trust that if God wants this for you and your children, He will make it possible.
So here is what I want all of you, who are asking yourselves "Could I do it?" to know. Yes, 100 percent yes! This is what I have learned. Homeschool moms don't have magical powers. Patience increases as it is tested. There is no such thing as balance. Take it one day at a time! Forget "school" and focus on education and a love of learning. You don't stop being the best teacher for your child just because they turn 3...or 5...or even 10. And you will never regret being a part of more of child's childhood. Trust that if God wants this for you and your children, He will make it possible.









No comments:
Post a Comment