With Arthur in flight school, it is back to just Jake and I most of the time. It can be trying...for both of us...when we get so few "breaks" from one another (we both have have had to say a few "I'm sorry's" after losing our patience with one another). However, I know this time together is a blessing and I love that I get to be around for all the funny, surprising, and adorable things Jake says and does everyday. Here are just a few recent Jake quotes that I couldn't resist documenting.
1) Yesterday I asked Jake if he wanted to come get the mail with me (I have learned that doing tasks like this without his assistance can lead to a serious melt down). Jake was busy coloring, or maybe he was "writing," so he replied, "Just a quick second. Don't go get the mail quite yet Mommy." I love when he talks like he is 45...it always makes me giggle.
2) I have known about Jake's love for brass instruments like trumpets and "really big tubas" for a few months now but I was unaware of how much he really knew about them until last night. We were listening to the toddler music station while Jake danced around the family room. Mambo Number 5 (the Bob the Builder version) came on and after a minute of dancing Jake stopped and said, "This is the trumpet song." For one of the few times in my life I was actually speechless. After lifting my jaw off the floor, I asked Arthur, "How does he know that?" Arthur, who of course was studying in the next room, answered with slight annoyance in his voice, "He can hear it." "Yeah, but he's two!"
3) Now I know that Jake cannot read yet (this I am sure of), but one would have thought so after our last trip to the library. I was in the little kid section picking out stories for the week while Jake wondered off into the reference area geared more for school age children. He was over there for several minutes as though he was looking for something. Imagine my surprise when he brought over a book of Thanksgiving crafts and recipes and informed me, "We need this book." We checked it out, along with the Thanksgiving stories and Halloween craft book I had already selected. When I told Arthur about it all he said was, "Am I suppose to be surprised."
Oh Jake, I am in love with your passion for life and learning. I hope you learn as much from me as I do from you every day.

4 comments:
I want to see the projects that come out of that book! Loving your joy!
I almost love Arthur's reactions more than Jake's quotes. Hahaha
Jake is definitely one smart little dude! I can't get over how he isn't even 3 yet.
It's because he has such a great mama that he is soooo smart, Jillian! I am so happy to hear these little stories, so cute! "Just a quick second, mommy." hahaha! Even though they can't "Read" they can recognize words, RJ recognizes the word "zoo" because he has so many books with that word in it! Miss you!
Post a Comment