Sometime last year I decided that it would be a fun family tradition to make decorations each year for the various holidays. The short term benefit: a fun creative activity to do as a family. The long term benefit: each holiday filling our home with decorations that hold warm fun memories of years past. Here are a few pictures from the Halloween 2010 collection. :-) It took two FHE to complete these beauties!
| Hard at work |
| Planning his next stroke |
| The final product. Daddy-Bat, Mommy-Cat, Jake-Pumpkin |
![]() | |||||||||||||
| "Decorating" to Jake meant grabbing handfuls of candy and attempting to balance as much on cookie as possible. |
| Cookies are for little boys...and big boys! |
![]() |
| Let the battle begin |
![]() | |||||||||||||
| Is there anything sweeter that a Daddy with his baby? |
Now what good is a trip to the pumpkin patch without a messy ewy gooey pumpkin carving activity? Exactly...so the week before Halloween, we all pulled up our pj sleeves, spread a garbage bag over our front walk way, and got to work. Last year Jake refused to get near pumpkin guts so it was fun to see him and Arthur working side by side. As for our "outfits," what can I say? Think of it as a window into our weekend mornings.
![]() |
| I forgot to get a carving kit so we had to make due with tools from the kitchen |
| Leaning over a pumpkin when you feel like a pumpkin made for an interesting challenge. |
![]() | ||
| And the hard work pays off. :) |
This past Halloween weekend was a busy one. Friday night was our wards Trunk-or-Treating/Chili Cook Off party. I was a fun night, and after putting together a cute cowboy costume it was nice to have more than one place for Jake to wear it...especially since this party had a kids' costume fashion show. Jake was a little confused about the whole process, but it made it even funnier and cuter watching Benjamin and Jake "lose" the rest of the parade and wonder aimlessly.
While he made have been confused about the parade, there was no confusion when it came to getting candy. Jake was an expert Trunk-or-Treater. At one point I got caught up taking to someone and he just continued down the line or parked cars. I finally caught up to him three cars later and watched him confidently walk up to the trunk, clearly say "Trick or Treat," receive his candy, politely say thank you, and move on. What does he even need me for? After we had completed our rounds of the church parking lot, he was also a fabulous candy hander outer...his only issue was being slightly too generous...maybe a small case of "do unto others?"
Saturday was the official day to celebrate Halloween since the holiday actually fell on a Sunday this year. Remember we are living in the Bible belt. Our neighborhood threw an awesome block party with bounce houses and everything. Getting Jake dressed up the second day in a row was slightly more of a challenge. I don't know if it was the fun morning playing with Daddy and no nap or Jake just getting into character as a restless untamable cowboy but it was way more work the second time.
But his attitude made for some really cute cowboy shots...good work with the camera Daddy!
The party was fun. It was amazing to see how many kids there are in our little neighborhood and I enjoyed mingling with some of the adults. Although, it was kind of a warm day so I admit I didn't make the rounds the way I had hoped. I just went from one shade structure to the other. So unless they were in the shade too, I probably didn't introduce myself. Jake isn't a fan of the bounce houses, but he had a great time bowling and sat very still while the "scary bat" he requested was painted on his face.
After the party we were on the Halloween home stretch. All we had left was the grade finale, Trick or Treating. Accompanied by the Haymore's and the Kimber's we set out. Here we all are ready to hit the streets.
| Note: Grandpa and Baby Evelyn are missing from this picture |
Jake was definitely a confident cowboy as he strutted up drive ways and expertly rang doorbells. At several houses after saying "trick or treat" and receiving his candy he just stood there, like if he was cute enough they would give him another handful. It is possible to have too much confidence. :-)
But there was something about watching him saunter from house to house that was pretty priceless. His confidence was broken, however, when a man in a scary skull mask and crazy wig attempted to hand him candy. Upon seeing him, Jake stopped in his tracks and would not move forward an inch (even holding my hand) and demanded that the man, "Take off your mask." Luckily his wife was in less scary face paint and Jake was able to except candy from her.
While I expected Jake to want to trick or treat all night, he was pretty much done after that. I think we got to one more house before he announced that his legs no longer worked and that he would have to be carried. No one had any objections to calling it a night. So after only one block we headed home. A fun night to end a very fun month.
Can't wait to see what November has in store...we just need a few good naps first.



















No comments:
Post a Comment