I must have had some Mommy intuition when I helped Jake pick out his 13 new books at the library this week. We came home with one story called Iris Has a Virus and another called Lots of Spots. Well, now Jake has a virus that gives him lots of spots...itchy ones on his hands and feet. Yep, he has the dreaded hand, foot and mouth disease. Gross huh? Unfortunately, it seems to be going around town and with 90% of the population all going to the same doctor's office I imagine it will be difficult to contain.
When I found out that we had been exposed last Saturday I did my best to keep Jake quarantined, but by Tuesday night we were both getting a little stir crazy and since he was still symptom free I thought we had dodged the bullet. No, such luck...Friday afternoon I couldn't deny the little rash forming on the palms of his hand and feet.
Luckily his case seems pretty mild. No fever to speak of and most importantly, no fever blisters in or around his mouth. That would have been a nightmare! So you might be asking, "Why is she sharing this?" A funny Jake moment of course...
So yesterday morning, after taking his baby Tylenol and having his hands and feet lathered in hydrocortisone cream (all in an attempt to control the itching), Jake sat quietly eating his breakfast. All of a sudden he started examining his hands and after a few seconds asked, "Why do I have so many fire ant bites!?" "Remember in our book last night when Iris got a virus that made her throw up? Well, you got a virus that gave you bumps," I explained.
A look of complete disgust spread over Jake's face as he lifted his hands up and away from his body. He held them there for at least a minute looking straight ahead refusing to speak to either of us. He looked so mad! I guess even Jake realizes how yucky it is.
Don't worry Baby you'll get better soon and we still think you are adorable...spots and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment