The early arrival of our beautiful son James brought a level of fear and stress that Arthur nor I had ever experienced. During other times of sadness or trial, my mother has often reminded me of opposition in life. She would explain that we must feel hard things as deeply and fully as we feel the wonderful things. James' birth caused us to feel both extremes in nearly the same moment.
As James' days in the NICU dragged on, I mentioned to my father that this was the most stressed I had ever been. But then I realized, what else could be more stressful than watching your own child struggle for each breath? And because Arthur and I were both going through the same thing, it was difficult for us to comfort one another. But before we could be completely swallowed by our fear and sadness, reinforcements arrived.
It started with the power of prayer, prayers from family, friends, and even people we have never met. I am overwhelmed by all the people who took time out of their lives to pray for our family and our sweet baby in our time of need. I know that these prayers were heard and answered, along with the blessings and positive thoughts and energy from so many. I know this is just a little blog, but I want to use it to publicly thank those of you who showered us with love and support during this time. Words truly cannot express out gratitude.
During James' first few days at the NICU, his condition got progressively worse. For hours I would sit with my eyes fixed on the monitor above his bed. I would stare at the numbers in hope of some indicator that my sick baby was getting better... trying to will them to improve. During those days Alabama has never felt further from California. My sister, who now also lives in the South (my father said she would follow my babies anywhere), was amazing. She came every weekend, but with a new job, a new apartment, and bills to pay we could not expect her to put her life completely on hold for us. And then California came to us.
Arthur's father was the first to arrive. He jumped in ready to love, entertain, and spoil. As hard as it was for me to let Arthur and his dad take Jake home, I knew it was what they all needed... a few days of normal. Okay maybe not normal, but between the homemade Mexican food, non stop fun with Apa for Jake, and several house projects Arthur's dad took on, Jake and Arthur were given some distraction and relief from our situation. And it brought me comfort, knowing that as much as my heart hurt to be away from them, they were being taken care of.
Jake, had been my buffer from the pain. His dimpled smile and cuddly hugs were a great distraction each time I walked out of the NICU with empty arms. With him gone, I really felt the deep loneliness of being separated from the baby who had been inside me just days before. My parents arrival came just in time because I don't know when I have needed them more. I know how difficult travelling is on my mom, so it meant even more to have her by my side as we sat with James. And I know that James felt her love too, as she sang him the same songs she use to sing to us as babies and rubbed his tiny head. And my dad's ability to always know just I need without me having to ask is what got me though each of those difficult days. He was the perfect companion, that week, as he drove me back and forth to the hospital. He knew when to let me vent, when to talk about something else, and when to let the silence linger. Their presence was such a gift to me and to Arthur because he knew I was being taken care of.
Sometimes, even as adults, you just need your Mom and Dad. I am so grateful to Arthur's dad and to my parents for being here for us. Because they came to care for their babies, they helped give us the strength to take care of ours.
Parents and prayers, we couldn't have gotten through time time without them.
4 comments:
what a beautiful post :) I'm glad that James is alright now. How nice that your parents were able to come out there for you.
Wow, that was such a heartfelt and beautiful post. I'm so glad baby James is home and all is well! We love you all!
Such a beautiful post, Jill. Prayers are so powerful and mean so much. I am really happy that James is home now and your family is complete again under the same roof :) We miss you in CA!
You had our prayers coming your way . . . all the way from Germany. We are so glad all is well. xoxo
Post a Comment