Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Daddy's Boys

Arthur officially started class again this week.  After almost 3 months of being on hold, I know that it is time, but I can't help but be a little sad.  This time off felt like someone had stopped the clock for a little while.  And now that the clock has restarted, it is counting down to an inevitable deployment.  While it is still months, maybe even years away, the restart of class makes it all much closer, and more real.
I know I shouldn't complain.  This is what he signed up to do...a sacrifice our family agreed to make.  I just hope that when the time comes, we will be blessed with the strength and courage that I've seen in so many other military families (especially our favorite Bissel family).  So instead of letting the dread consume me, I do my best to be grateful for all the family time we have right now.  So here are a few moments I have captured with Arthur and his boys.
Jake and Arthur are best friends.  It is a rare evening that a wrestling match, "tackle football game (with touch down passes included), or soccer game hasn't taken over the living room.  And for those more "quiet" moments, blankets are strewn in front of the couch to makes hills and valleys for a riveting game of rock crawlers.  I just love hearing them refer to one another as "my best."


This past weekend, Arthur got the baking bug so he and Jake took on chocolate chip cookies together.  This was a change of pace for them, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  But of course they did great!  Arthur was so sweet and patient with Jake and Jake was a great little helper.  I just sat in the other room and enjoyed listening to their cute chatter.  Although, I did interrupt for a few seconds in order to get a few pictures.  How could I not?

Hard at work

The pay off
James is following right in his big brother's foot steps...nothing is more exciting to him than Daddy walking into the room.  As soon as he hears Arthur's voice James starts searching for him.  Once he makes eye contact, he starts kicking his legs and waving his arms in excitement.  But it is once he is in his Daddy's arms that the smiles and the cooing starts.  James has it figured out, Mommy is for food and comfort, but Daddy is for FUN!  I should be jealous, but I just love watching their bond strengthen and their love grow.

Cuddles with Daddy
I was too slow to capture the smiles, but still got lots of love!

I know deployments will be hard, especially for our boys.  But I take comfort in knowing that all the special relationships that Arthur has built with our boys will transcend the time and distance until they can be back together again.

2 comments:

MariePhotographie said...

Beautiful pictures and words. :) James is so handsome!

Lauren Byers said...

so so sweet :)you guys have 2 good lookin boys :)