Could I be accused of over scheduling my little man's third birthday party? Yes! Better yet,
was I accused of over scheduling (by my own husband)? Yes! I will defend myself only by asking, how else do you plan an party for a handful of children between two and four? And in Arthur's defense I will admit that we still have a large green dinosaur pinata, filled with candy, staring down at us from our book self because it was one of
several activities I had to omit. Regardless, I think I pulled off one Dino-rific birthday party and made it a special day for my birthday boy and hopefully a fun afternoon for our friends.
I did my best to keep little bodies moving and tiny hands busy, but in order to consider myself really successful, I wanted everyone to leave messy and very ready for a nap...I think I can say "mission accomplished!"
We started the day with dino gliders in the backyard (the gliders weren't nearly the hit I thought they could be, but the kids seemed to have nice time in the backyard).
But it didn't take too long before cheeks started getting rosy under the hot Alabama sun and it was time for our first craft of decorating goody bags. Markers, feathers, stickers, stamps and glue...who doesn't love a good craft?!
 |
| Luckily I had very helpful parents. |
 |
| Hard at work! |
|
|
|
Next we were off the the backyard to find dinosaur eggs filled with toy dinosaurs and candy. I thought an egg hunt fit our theme but would also be great practice for every one's upcoming Easter festivities. I'll admit, though, that I really didn't see the hunt take place because I was too busy getting lunch ready. I mean, food is one of the most important parts of a party, especially since Jake has several "grown up" friends who were sweet enough to take time out of their weekend to come. The least I could do was provide yummy food.
With tummies full and blood sugar levels back up, it was back to the craft table to paint dinosaurs. The other mommies called me "brave" for doing paint inside...obviously the didn't look very closely at my walls...it is far too late for caution, now we just need a new coat of paint.
 |
| If you think those look like alligators, you have obviously not seen a deinosuchus. :-) |
As the dinos dried, I sent the kids outside one more time to play with bubbles while we got the cake ready. Aunt Robyn managed the station beautifully. I am going to owe her big time when she has babies because she is the best aunt ever to mine.
The rest of the party was pretty textbook. Singing, cake, presents...you know the drill.
 |
| Cake delivered by Aunt Robyn from a bakery in Atlanta |
|
|
 |
| Birthdays are bitter sweet for mommies, but I did save the tears for his actual birthday. |
 |
| Jake picked out his own candle at Wal-Mart. He noticed the candle display, grabbed the 3, and informed me, "I need this." |
 |
| Our Alabama friends have become like family while we've lived here...thank you all for joining us on Jake's special day! |
 |
| Chocolate cake with lots of butter cream frosting...Jake and I have a similar idea of heaven |
Jake was so cute and grateful while opening gifts. As soon as we'd tell him who a new gift was from he's search the room until he had located the giver and sincerely exclaim, "Thank you ______!" often before he had even opened the gift.
 |
| Spoiled as usual. |
As for Baby James, he started strong...
but spent most of the party like this...
2 comments:
It was the best party any child could have asked for. You are definitely the coolest mom!
Happy 3rd Birthday Jake!
Post a Comment