Saturday, March 12, 2011

Talking with Jake

It is about time that I do another Jake Quotes post.  I feel like nearly every day (okay, more like 20 times a day), Jake says something to make me think, "Oh, I need to write that down!" but by the time I sit down to record it, I can't remember.  So here are some quotes from the last few weeks...I guess you could say these really are the unforgettable ones.


1) Several weeks ago a close friend of mine suffered a loss in her family and Jake overheard me trying to comfort her on the phone.  Jake's deep concern for her sadness lead to a conversation about death.  I tried to explain that my friend's grandfather was very old and had lived a happy life, but that his body was tired and it was time for his spirit to go back to heaven.  Not really the conversation you want to have with your two year old, but he was asking sincere questions and they deserved honest answers.  After more questions, Arthur had to explain that eventually everyone dies.  Despite trying to soften the finality of death with talk of heaven, it became very apparent that Jake had not missed the everyone clause by his question next morning.  After quietly eating his breakfast Jake looked up and asked, "Mommy, when are you going to get very old?"
I immediately realized that he was really asking when I going to die.  "Oh honey, not for a very long time," I tried to assure him.
After another quiet minute his sadly said, "I am going to miss you, Mommy."
Oh my poor baby.  It breaks my heart a little bit, that my little boy is already worried about such big boy things.  But I guess it is the flip side of the intelligence coin...you learn everything early...even the hard stuff.

Regardless of how much of a big boy he is during the day, he is still my sweet baby boy...especially when he sleeps

2) Luckily not all conversations with Jake are quite so serious.  While sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office last week, another mother struck up a discussion about dinosaurs with Jake.  After asking him his favorite dinosaur, which turned out to be a stegosaurus at that given minute, she asked his what he would do if he had a tail like a stegosaurus.
Very seriously Jake responded, "I don't have a tail.  I have a penis."


3) I do my best to read our scripture readers with Jake each night before bed time.  However, I think we may be missing the mark after hearing Jake announce, "The Lord has commanded me to do whatever I want to do."  Cleaver Jake, but I don't think it works like that.

4) Family dinner is suppose to be the time when the whole family comes together to eat, chat about the day, and enjoy each other's  company.  Well, apparently Jake does not think his days are quite exciting enough.  Instead of him filling Daddy in on our day, Jake's dinner contributions generally start something like, "So, today this guy just walked up to me and bonked me on the head!"  My favorite is when he incorporates people he hears Arthur talk about from work...I am sure it will get us into trouble one of these days.  I am also asked two to three times a week if I have made enough dinner for the Poopa's (yes, they are still around).


5) Jake likes logic.  He asks logical questions and he expects logical answers.  The trouble is when he uses logic against me (and believe me it happens very often).  Example: His Nana sent him a planter box filled with soil for us to plant a small garden in this Spring (very sweet and Montessori of her).  Jake has been very eager to start this project.  However, between the rainy weather and James getting sick, gardening has been delayed.  Several nights ago, however, Jake decided he had waited long enough.  I tried to explain that since it was dark and rainy, it was still not a good time.  "But plants love the water!" he sternly informed me.  It is moments like this when Arthur shoots me the "try to argue that one" look.

6) Living with Jake right now can feel a little bit like living with Dr. Seuss.  He is constantly rhyming, and, like Dr. Seuss, it is best if the second (and often the third and fourth) word is completely made up.

7) Since is hardly ever happens, I love when Jake has a word he doesn't say correctly.  I  hardly ever correct him when this happens, instead I generally encourage it (is that wrong?).  Right now Jake calls pliers, "supplizers."
Sound like some kind a multi tool, huh?

Oh our smart silly boy.  Our lives would be so boring and empty without you love for life and learning and your amazing ability to challenge...well, just about everything.  I know you hear it 100 times a day, but your Mommy and Daddy love you!

1 comment:

MariePhotographie said...

So cute! He is going to love reading this someday, and so are you! I'm so glad you are good about getting it written down. I want to be better about that. :)