Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pumpkin Guts

Okay, we have our pumpkins.  Bring on the next family tradition.  Time to take those suckers home and have a messy blast getting them all cleaned out and carved into some awesome Jack-o-Lanterns.


Look at how ready and focused we are!  We even have Erin ready to help.



(Quick side note: Erin was one of the first friends I made after I moved to Davis.  I am so lucky that she has been a part of my life through all these years, and now my boys have her too.  As she explained to Jake, during this last visit, she has loved them since before they were even born.  Blood related or not, that sounds like an aunt to me.)



I mean what three year old doesn't like to get a little dirty...


Oh that's right, mine. :-)


This is about the point when Jake said, "This is like the grossest thing ever!"and marched back inside (and yes, Jake does talk like a teenager most of the time) and was not seen again until the threat of slimy pumpkin guts was over.


I learned an important lesson about my husband's side of the family that day...none of them actually like carving pumpkins...not as children...not now.  Luckily, Arthur loves me enough to carve with me (as long as I do most of the pumpkin gut cleaning).



And it actually worked out great.  Not having to keep track of Jake handling sharp tools meant I could actually carry on a real conversation while we carved some pretty rockin' Jack-O-Lanterns.

Arthur's masterpiece
Mine
And while Jake may have taken after Arthur's side when it comes to his feelings about pumpkin guts, I have a good feeling that James will be more than willing to get his hands dirty in the years to come.  Just look at that face. :-)


1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, you can just feel me hovering in these photos, making sure no one cuts themselves with the completely dull pumpkin knives or chokes on pumpkin seeds!

I'm so happy to be your boys' adopted auntie, and auntie to all the boys (or girls) yet to come! Love you all!