Sunday, June 17, 2012

Out and About

With just a few days to go until the first official day of summer, I feel like it is time to document some of the things we've been up to this Spring.

First, I should mention the new addition to our family.  Nope, not another baby....not even a dog.  No, we are now the proud owners of a new riding lawn mower.  And since any given Saturday morning, Arthur may be responsible for mowing 4 huge yards, it is a welcomed addition.  However, I did not realize quite how special it was until family prayer when Jake said, "Thank you for our riding lawn mower since Daddy has wanted one his entire life."


Unfortunately, not every day can be filled zipping around the neighborhood on a riding lawn mower, so while Daddy is at work the boys and I have to find other things to do.
One of our favorite outings is to the Adventure Science Center.  Last time we pulled into the parking lot James was so excited I could barely get him to hold still long enough to get him out of his car seat.  He loves getting to run around and explore everything.  There is just something so magical about watching your child discover and learn.






Jake is participating in their summer Little Labs program, and he has really enjoyed the two we've attended so far.  The teacher is great and they have just the right amount of structure (James even gets to join in). However, I would have to say that the lesson about ants was everyone's favorite!


And I will admit that I was a pretty proud Mommy when he correctly told the "class" the body parts of an insect.  That's my boy!  




Jake also participated in his first soccer camp, and he loved it so much that I signed him up for the next one.  He was so cute and excited on his first day.  As he ran onto the field in his shinguards and cleats, wearing his little army backpack packed with water, sunscreen, and a snack, my heart took a picture (and okay, my camera may have taken a few too).


He didn't even look back.  In that moment, he didn't need me.  He had enough confidence to head into this adventure all by himself.  And while I would have expected that to make heart ache a little, I was really just proud and so excited for him...excited as he starts this new stage in his life full of new experiences where he can develop his interests and talents.



Isn't that my job, to give my children the skills and confidence to stand on their own?  And while he is only four, and this was only a little soccer camp, it was nice to see that we are on the right track.  And I felt even better when one the third day he couldn't wait to report that he had shared his snack with a little girl who didn't have one.  I'd like to believe that it was an act of service, but I also think it didn't hurt that she was a pretty girl. :-)



While Jake had a great time at soccer camp, I enjoyed some one on one time with my crazy James.  Even though he was devastated each day we left Jake at soccer camp, it was fun to get to spend the mornings with him.  We played peek-a-boo in the curtains at Target, read books at the library, and even made it through an antique store without breaking anything.  Oh my little Bubba, life would be so boring with out you.



No comments: