Saturday, April 21, 2012

Date Day WIth My Bubba

Until today I wondered...worried even, that I would never be able to watch musical theater without the sharp twinge of jealousy creeping in.  It makes me physically uncomfortable to watch (even on TV) people do what I once loved to do so much myself.  But today, only three notes into the overture of Click Clack Moo, I found out it was possible.


The music started just as Jake and I were were getting to our seats.  The lights were already down in the house and I could only see the outline of Jake's profile reflecting the stage lights.  He was frozen, eyes transfixed on the stage.  It took me three or four attempts just to get his attention long enough for him to take the last several steps to our seats.


As we settled in, I looked down...I saw just what my mom had described about me so many years ago.  Jake was perched at the edge of his seat, back ridged at attention, and eyes wide.  He hung on every word...every note.  He laughed at all the silly parts, clapped enthusiastically after every song (I think he even started the applause once or twice), and couldn't help move to the music.  Then he climbed into my lap and snuggled in, and as I wrapped my arms around him, it happened.  Finally, I found a place in the theater I liked even more then the stage.


At intermission, we walked into the lobby hand in hand and I asked, "How do you like it so far?" "I think it is great!" Jake beamed up at me.  And it was...a great show, a great "date" with my baby boy, and a great reminder that as much as I loved (and often miss) performing, it was the not the life for me.  I am where I belong.
Ended our date with a trip to Cracker Barrel...pancakes and a parfait...4 year old heaven :-)
True sign of a great day...
Looks like James had a pretty great day too...Thanks Aunt Robyn!

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think I'll start watching Glee anytime soon, but I am excited to share the love of my past life with the true loves of my new one.

No comments: