This is the third time is two weeks, i have sat down ready and determined to update this little online journal of mine. And each time, I write a few paragraphs, and then...nothing... I don't know what is going on! So if this is the worst blog I have ever written, I am sorry. But you've got to start (or restart for the third time) somewhere, right?
Our lives have been a nice balance of routine with some very exciting and special moments mixed in. Our routine consists of scripture study, homeschool, violin (for Jake), trips to the pool, play dates with friends, and lots and lots of cars, Lego's, and drawing (I will try expand on some of this in later posts)!
One of my greatest hopes for our boys is that when they will look back on their childhoods they will remember the days where they were just free to be kids.
I know that the world pushes children to grow up so quickly, but in our home, I would like to let them take the lead on how long they should be "little."
I treasure their innocence and hope that we can protect it and learn from it in the years to come. Sometimes I forget that we are not just put into families to teach our children, we are also blessed and expected to learn from them. And I want my boys to know how grateful I am for all the things they teach me each day.
As comfortable as I get in the predicable, I am also grateful for those moments when things get all shaken up. One of my favorite "surprises" of this year, was Arthur coming home early!
Army records may show that he come home because he needed medical treatment for gastrointestinal issues (not too shocking if you saw that they have to eat over there), but Jake and I know that Daddy coming home early was the answer to a very sincere birthday wish (more of a birthday prayer really). And even with all the delays, Daddy was here just in time to watch our 5 year old blow out the candles on his red velvet cake at his Grandparents house. I don't know, if their has ever been a happier birthday boy.
It didn't take long for my boys (big and small) to find their own routine. This time it looks a little different than it had before Arthur left, because the baby he left is now a "big boy."
James really grew up over the seven months that Arthur was away, and long gone are the days where he would stay home to snuggle with Mommy while Daddy and Jake set out on an adventure.
Now James is the first one out the door for Saturday morning donut stops and fishing trips, but of course, not with out grabbing his "Bass Pro Shops hat" first.
He is also the one to run and get the "hit ball" (aka football) at the first signs of an evening Daddy son wresting match.
While my boys were amazing little troupers throughout this first deployment, I couldn't help but notice how much little boys need their daddies. I am good for lots of things, but I cannot replace wild rides in an Argo, lessons about fishing lures, and "hit ball" games in the living room.
We are so blessed to have Arthur home safe and sound. He teaches them all the things a boy should know, but I also know that our boys are learning the things a good man needs to know just through the life they are seeing their father live.
As you can probably guess, we weren't the only ones glad to have Arthur home safe and sound. The wheels of Arthur's plane had barely hit the ground, before his mom and dad were planning a trip out to see us. I can't even imagine, how much Maria needed to see her son. If I have learned one thing since having children of my own, it is that no matter how old your children get they are still your babies. So I am glad they were able to get out here quickly. However, they brought with them their own surprises. Arthur's Aunt Alicia, Uncle Manuel, and even his Welita came too!
It was a great weekend, full of so much laughter, love, and of course, unbelievable food! I think Arthur felt a little overwhelmed by the love and sacrifice, especially by his Welita, to make that long trip to see him.
PS As I was looking through pictures for the post, I was reminded how much as happened in the last 5 months...guess I have some work to do. But for now, I will just say that I am so happy to have us all back together. I am so blessed!








1 comment:
"Hit-ball"...hahahaha, so cute!!!
Post a Comment