Sunday, August 18, 2013

It's a Sister!!


This pictures says it all.  For weeks, maybe months, the boys have had the same conversation each time we talk about the new baby that will be joining our family.  As though they were rehearsing a script Jacob would start, "I want it to be a girl," and before he had even finished speaking, James would come back with, "I want it to be a BOY!"

Well, it looks like Jake got his wish this time (he was hoping for a girl last time too), and James will just have to wait until the next round. :-)

Most people guessed it would be a little girl.  I'm sure that after two boys, people just assume that the odds would be in her favor.  But when my Grandpa Gordon, a patriarch for the majority of his life, enthusiastically questioned, "You know this one is a little girl, right?" I don't know why I ever doubted.

However, with the yuckiness of the first trimester behind me, I eased into a second trimester that felt just like my previous pregnancies with the boys.  Soon I began to justify those weeks of chronic nausea (and one early morning run to the bathroom) as a combination of getting older (I am almost 30 after all) and the inability to get enough rest.  I just couldn't picture myself having a little girl...Arthur, on the other hand, has had no problem picturing his little "princess."

Then, just hours from the big reveal, in a quiet moment my mind began to wonder.  I was making the drive to my appointment, listening to classical music, enjoying a little bit of alone time, and I saw her.  Maybe it was a day dream, but it has stuck with me a little too deeply for it to have simply been that.

Her back was to me, as she sat at a piano in our home (a piano we do not currently possess).  She couldn't have been older that 10 or 11, but I remember being impressed by how well she played.  Her hair was the color of her brothers, but it was long and wavy.  The image lasted less than a few seconds, before I came back to reality with the thought, "Yeah right, you are having another boy."

It wasn't until I heard the word "she" at the end of the ultra sound, and a tear ran down my cheek, that I remembered my beautiful little day dream.

I didn't realize how much I wanted a little girl, until the moment I learned I'd be having her.  I am still overwhelmed by the prospect of filling a closet with pink and lace (luckily her Daddy can't wait and her Aunt Robyn is already shopping), but I am so excited to meet this special daughter of our Heavenly Father.  I know that from the moment she arrives, we will all wonder what our family ever did without her...okay, we might have to give Jamie a little longer.


1 comment:

Erin said...

I had a dream you were having a girl, too! But it was a nighttime one, and it was before you even had James- so I don't know if it counts as a prediction exactly! Either way, I'm so excited!