Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Sweet Trip Back to Alabama

Back in August we decided to use Arthur's training at Fort Rucker to its fullest potential, and the boys and I drove down to join him so we could have a little family vacation.  I was actually surprised by how nostalgic I got over Lower Alabama.  I guess even with all the heat, humidity, and gnats trying to get in your eyes, ears, nose and mouth, our family made some wonderful memories there.  And how could I not love the place where our James was born?

The morning the boys and I made our trip down, was actually the same day that school started here.  And as I heard the school bus pull up, I felt at peace to be packing the car and not Jake's backpack, and even more grateful to be loading him up for a family vacation rather than onto the school bus.  And as we hit the road and I glanced in my rear view mirror, I knew that Jake was right were he was meant to be...with us.



The boys were awesome on the road.  I couldn't have asked for better traveling buddies.  Hard to believe that that these are the same boys who use to scream, going around the block, as babies.  But between books, movies, rockin' out to the radio, and a stop and Chick fil-a, the six hours drive was smooth sailing.  
Once we arrived and had eaten dinner with Daddy at our favorite Mexican restaurant, it was not difficult to decide where to go next.  The park, of course!  This was our favorite place to go when we lived here.  Jake and I practically lived here when the weather was nice, and as we pulled into the parking lot, the memories flood my mind.  It surprised me, a little, when I realized just how much life we lived in less than two years.  As a looked around, I could almost see Jake on his little radio flier tricycle, James going down the slide with Arthur for the first time, and me talking with other amazing mommies we met while we were there...it really was a beautiful time.




Since Arthur was really there for a training, he had to spend his days in class.  So after enjoying our hotel breakfasts together, it was up to me to fill the days.  First stop...EASY...the Aviation Museum of course!

one of our trips from 2011
August 2013...Watch time fly and listen to a Mommy's heart break



Next stop...Milky Moo's (we may have made more than one stop there.  Daddy needed some ice cream too. :-))

This is what happens when you ask Jake to smile...




This is what happens when you ask Jamie to smile...




 Okay, we'll take it :-)



Unfortunately, this is were my trip photo documentation came to an end (besides the gorgeous day at the beach).  But documented or not, we had a great time!!  We went swimming, played at the splash pad, spent a day with some great friends, and even went to our old ward on Sunday!  With the way that I love nostalgia and trips down memory lane, this was an extra fun week for me.


No comments: