Jake shared his testimony today during our ward's fast and testimony meeting. Unlike most children his age, there was no prompting parent whispering into his ear. While Arthur (with James on his hip) stood several feet away, Jacob never once looked to him for assistance. Instead, he looked out into the in congregation and spoke into the microphone clearly and calmly. None of us, not even me, expected what would come out of this little boys mouth.
With confidence, Jacob eloquently spoke for two or three minutes as he shared what he believes about this gospel. He spoke of how he knows that "God lives," and how our Heavenly Father really does hear and answer our prayers, and he even expressed his gratitude for the Holy Ghost. His words were so humble and so honest, and I couldn't help but feel a little in awe him. Somehow Jacob looked so little and so grown up all in the same minute. "Wow! He really gets it!" I thought to myself as tears started to stream down my face. And as I glanced around me, I saw that I was not the only person wiping away the tears. As the scriptures tell us, "Out of the mouths of babes."
After the meeting, Arthur and I had many people compliment us on Jacob's testimony. One person jokingly asked if Jacob would be speaking in General Conference next week, and another told me that "I have a [spiritual] giant." I also had another mother tell me that if that was her son, she would be dancing down the hall. But as proud as I am, honestly, I cannot take the credit...at least not much of it. Yes, we work hard to raise and teach our children in the gospel, but it is Jacob's understanding that is far beyond his years. He has a mature spirit and he just "gets it." Luckily, that mature spirit is still in a 5 (and a half) year old body and I am not out of a job quite yet. Within an hour of sharing his beautiful testimony, Jacob and I were having a talk in the hall about the importance of being reverent and respectful during his primary class.
No comments:
Post a Comment