I hesitated to pick up my camera as I looked around the living room. Did I really want to document this mid-moving chaos? But as I watched her, I couldn't help but realize how perfectly this moment represented her, and then of course, I couldn't help myself.
Notice the messy little pony at the top of her head? This morning she asked for a "bow." She sat very still as I brushed her very soft (very slippery) hair together, and didn't move until the rubber band was securely in place. But somewhere in the 30 seconds between her crawling of my lap and me coming back from grabbing something from upstairs, most of the pony tail had escaped.
As for her lack of pants, well, that could be explained by her obsession with the dog's water bowl. But yesterday was the first time she didn't try to eat Coal's food too, so I call that a win!
She loves books but unless you are looking at what is in her hands, it is difficult to tell whether she wants you to read her a book or play ball. Her two favorite things still sound very much a like.
Speaking of balls, for months anything round was a ball, but over the last few weeks, Scarlett now calls anything round and edible an "app-le."
She speaks in intense and animated sentences, unfortunately (for both of us), I can only decipher about 20% of what she is saying. But I am noticing that with each passing week, her words are becoming more and more clear. Her "big" words include: ow-side, die-sore, tain (train), nie (nice), baby. She is also an excellent mimic, and will echo almost every "OW!" "Ew!" and "No!" her big brothers yell.
I am usually "Mommy" but when Scarlett gets dramatic (which is about 100 times a day) I suddenly become "Ma-mmy!!" I have no idea why, but we all think it is funny it has quickly caught on. Arthur has been especially quick to join her.
Unfortunately, very little Spanish is spoken in our home. I heard once that it is the maternal language that gets passed down...so sorry kids, English it is. However, we do have a Spanish term here or there that has slipped into the daily family dialog. A common one is "mimi" as in sleep. So when we ask a child if they "want to go mimi?" we are asking if they are ready for a nap or want to go to bed (which, if you know my children you know, they rarely want to do...ever). But instead of associating mimi with sleep, Scarlett thinks that "mimi" means snuggle time with mommy. She gets so excited! She will give several giant nods and start to giggle in anticipation. I love that she loves me so much! It is the best feeling the world.
Growing like a week and getting smarter everyday, this is our girl!



No comments:
Post a Comment