Fifth birthdays are little rough for me. Something about one of my babies becoming "school age" breaks my heart. It doesn't make very much sense with us being a homeschool family. It isn't like he is going anywhere. I guess it is just knowing that if we were little more "normal," James would be joining his peers on the school bus this next fall and that even with homeschool I still have to register my son with the powers that be. It just makes him feel a little less mine and that is more than this Momma can handle.
Luckily, I could not have dreamed up a sweeter 5 year old! Sure James is a little wild and crazy. He climbs up door ways (and then hangs from the top and slides down one side), flies down hills at a million miles an hour on his strider, and has holes in all his shirts and scratches on his ears from intense wrestling matches with our puppy, Dixie. But it is selflessness and thoughtfulness that amazes me the most. In the weeks leading up to his 5th Birthday, there were two moments that really stood out that perfectly illustrate the special kind-hearted spirit our James has.
![]() |
| When mom forgets candles you have to just pretend |
In this first narrative I give total permission to laugh at my expense: A couple of weeks ago James, Scarlett and I were hanging out outside, enjoying a gorgeous fall afternoon, while Jake finished his violin lesson. James and Scarlett were happily playing in the crunchy leaves, while I looked on, having one of those "I am so blessed! My life it so beautiful" moments. Well, I was, until I heard a very loud buzzing sound right next to my ear. I tried not to panic and hoped I could just wait it out for a few seconds and whatever it was would fly away. Unfortunately, that was not the case and much to my horror, the buzzing insect was now trapped in my hair. Que Mommy freak out! "James!! James!! There is a bug in my hair!! Get it out!!!" I squealed (yes, like a little girl).
Without a hesitation, James dropped the rake he had been playing with, and came running to my rescue. I leaned over so he could assess the situation. He reached forward, and then jumped back, "It is a WASP!!" Now I was really freaking out, but, as my mind raced to find the a solution to this mini crisis, James stepped forward and reached up to untangle the wasp from my hair. He did get the wasp out, but not without getting stung first.
While I'm sure it would have won first place at any American Funniest Home Videos contest had anyone been lucky enough to get it all on tape, it was the way my baby didn't hesitate to put my needs in front of his own that will make this a moment I will never forget. He knew the wasp would likely sting him, but he helped me anyway. I get a lump in throat just thinking about it. James doesn't need to be taught or reminded "what Jesus would do" he already knows and he is probably already doing it.
The second story is as simple as it is sweet. The night after my sister's wedding, the kids and I stayed across the hall from my parents at their hotel to squeeze in some extra family time. The following morning, my kids and I were enjoying the yummy buffet breakfast before we headed back home when we heard my mom making her way down the hall. Before she had even made her way into the lobby, James had leaped from his chair, grabbed a chair for my mom, and was clearing her a space on the little table so she could join us.
I could fill this blog of stories where James goes out of his way to help someone else or sacrifices what he wants to make his brother or sister smile. He is a bring light in our family and in his sweet five year old ways he continues to teach each of us what Christ like love and service looks like.
James, you are an incredible boy! You have a natural love for others and selflessness that most adults are still struggling to grasp. I know that you will grow into an amazing man one day and you will bless the lives of everyone you come in contact with. Thank you for your endless supply of snuggles and smiles. You add a warmth to my life that I thank God for everyday.




No comments:
Post a Comment