Monday, December 2, 2013

James' "perfect" Birthday!

It is hard to believe that my baby...my tiny little "Peanut" turned three on Friday.  It is crazy how the time just keeps flying by with no regard for my (not always silent) wishes for it to slow down...even just a little.


This special day has been a favorite topic of conversation for Jake and James.  They loved asking how many more weeks and days until James would finally be three.  Then on Thursday night, minutes before bed, I sat on the floor snuggling with my baby boy.  Maybe James could sense me trying to soak up those last few moments of his twoness because he looked up and announced that the next day he would be three!  I don't remember the exact words that came out of my mouth, but I know I didn't do a very good job of hiding my bitter sweet emotions.

It is funny how excited I am to see them learn, and grow, and change...and yet there is nothing that breaks my heart or make me cry faster (and yes, I am bawling while typing this at 35 weeks pregnant) than thinking about how quickly it happens.

I felt terrible when he laid his head on my chest and said, "Mommy, I don't ever want to turn three."

"Oh, Honey, why not!?" Even though I knew it was totally my fault, and immediately felt guilty that I had likely contributed to a life long Peter Pan complex (that he would no doubt have to seek therapy for later in life)...but, then again, I never claimed perfection at this whole mommy thing.

"Because I want to be your baby forever!"  I squeezed him tightly and quickly tried to undo the permanent damage, I had just caused.

The good news for him is he doesn't really get a choice on that one.  None of them do.  And as I explained to him that night, and as I have told Jacob countless times before, they will ALWAYS be my babies.  And after that little life lesson, James went to bed happy and once again excited for his day!

I was slightly (okay, VERY) unprepared for James birthday.  I had planned up until Thanksgiving, and that was as far as I got.  But the flip side to his birthday falling the day after Thanksgiving, this year, meant that Arthur was home, and a day with Daddy was just what our little boy wanted.

After a big birthday breakfast, Daddy and James went on a special shopping trip.  I consider this a selfless act of love, since I know how much Daddy tries to avoid large crowds.  But there is little this Daddy won't do for his boys, so I shouldn't have been surprised that he braved Black Friday so the Birthday Boy could pick out a couple new toys.  Once they got home, it was a James day.  Jake did a great job letting James take the lead, and even understood that James might not want to share his new loot right away...and while those are presents that cannot be wrapped, my heart smiled watching Jake giving his little brother such sincere gifts from his 5 year old heart.

So here is a "perfect" day according to James

1) Playing  Hot Wheels with Jake

2) Building Lego's with Daddy (and Jake)





3) A little crafting




4) Dinner at Chick-f-la (complete with time in the fun area)

5) Family Movie night with Hot Chocolate and "Poporn"



While I hope to squeeze in a little birthday party before Little Sister arrives, I know that James had a great day!  And it brings me happiness that so many of his "favorites" are regular parts of his childhood.  I also love that the day had so little to do with things, but instead was filled with quality time together creating beautiful memories as a family.  And the best part about this birthday was that Daddy was here for the whole thing!

We love you Jamie Boy!  As one of your favorite bedtime stories says, "You're a gift sent from God up above.  Perfectly, delightfully created in love!"


1 comment:

MariePhotographie said...

So sweet! I can't believe he's already three either! Time seriously does need to sloooow down. :)